Thursday, June 2, 2011

Vegan doesn't mean healthy


Me and my hubby are looking to move  in September but it is not easy to find the right place.I would love to find a big house with an even bigger backyard so I can spend my summers outside and plant a vegetable garden next spring.Anyway, since we were already in the area we thought lets get some breakfast at that new restaurant Prasino that we discovered last week.It is usually a bit of a drive from were we live now.They have some vegan options and almost all of their food is organic.They still have a lot of animal products on their menu but hey I am a happy camper that I found a place in the Chicago suburbs where I don't have to order a plain iceberg lettuce all the time.I had tofu egg benedict and pancakes plus french toast I shared with my husband,all vegan of course!!It was so yummy,delicious and so worth it.Was it healthy? NO not at all!!That is what I call vegan junk food and I only eat it as a treat every once in a while.People think because you are vegan you must be healthy but a person who eats all processed, sugary, fried vegan foods is far from healthy.There is this big misconception that soy and everything that has to do with is a health food,so a lot of people stuff their faces everyday with soy burgers, soy milk,soy cheese and sugary vegan junk.And then they wonder why they still get sick!!When I first started to eat plant based I ate a lot of these fake foods and that is fine at the beginning but once you get over those gross meat cravings move away from that garbage and eat fresh fruit,colorful veggies,whole grains and healthy fats like avocado and raw nuts.Those are the miracle foods not the wanna be buffalo wings and hot dogs.
I still feel super stuffed,tired and bloated after that huge breakfast and I will eat very light for the rest of the day so my poor belly can get a break.I am craving my green smoothie and fresh fruit right now and the next time that will be my breakfast of choice!!Breakfast of champions.

Love
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment